Learn to evaluate the sources of hadith and safeguard against any false references. Topics include classification, modes of transfer and biographical analysis.Enrol
Aim and outcome
To develop the ability to evaluate the sources of hadith and safeguard against any false attributions being placed upon the Prophet of Allah (peace be upon him).
On completion learners should be able to:
- Define and identify the criteria for the classification of a hadith and recognise its ruling.
- Reconcile the differences between conflicted ahadith.
- Understand and appreciate the hadith acquisition process and its effect.
- Identify the classification of transmitters via the process of Jarh wa Ta’dil and Arabic nomenclature.
- Research hadith utilising key hadith collections with a particular focus on the Kutub Sittah
- Translate and comprehend classical works in Usul al‐Hadith
- Evaluate the conclusion of the Muhaddithun in their treatement of the narrators and hadith.
Nukhbat al-Fikr with Nuzhat al-Nazar of Hf. Ibn Hajar Asqalani (d. 852).
Tadrib al-Rawi of Allm. Jalal al-Din Suyuti (d. 911) with Taqrib of Allm. Nawawi (d. 676)
Manar al-Anwar of Allm. Abu Barakat al-Nasafi (d. 710) with Nur al-Anwar of Mulla Jiwan (d. 1130)
Ikhtisar fi Ulum al-Hadith of Allm. Ibn Kathir (d. 774).
Qawa'id fi Ulum al-Hadith of Allm. Zafar Ahmad Thanwi (d. 1394).